EQUALITY: From A Strong Woman's Point of View

MALE LEADERSHIP MUST NOT BE AN ISSUE.

I have been trying to finish this write-up since last year and it took me some time to gather enough boldness to say this:

"I dare all of you males to man up!"

Note:I began writing this last year after attending Relentless 2.0 (read here) where I felt the burden to encourage fellow leaders, particularly male leaders, to STAND UP and STEP UP in the leadership. 

In the midst of the world's fight for equality, I got faced with the Biblical truth in Genesis 2:18 that says, "Then the LORD God said, 'It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.'" That verse led me to a major shift in perspective with regards to leadership and gender roles (hot topic alert!)

As a woman who has held several leadership positions as far as I can remember, I admit that I have looked down on men who simply do not want rise up to take the responsibility of leadership even when they have the capabilities to do it. I used to be annoyed when a group begins to point fingers in selecting a leader and so often, without batting an eye, I would bluntly volunteer just to end the ball-passing. And since I started young, I got accustomed to the weight of responsibilities that go with it. It has become a joyful position for me and even reached the point where I took pride in it. Then came that important verse! It hit me hard because even in my prayer for a partner, I used to ask God to "give me a man who would match my leadership" - how demanding and prideful of me to think that the man should adjust to my leadership! Thank God for giving me a changed heart!

Let me share to you how God's Word led me to a 180° turn in my view of leadership.

First of all, after God finished His creation, He saw each of them as good. But notice the first part of Genesis 2:18 where the LORD God said "It is not good that the man should be alone;" I believe all of God's creations are good because He says so in His Word. But since God said those words "not good", does it mean that man (Adam), when he was alone, was incomplete, so "God made him a helper fit for him?" 

After reading Bible passages about the role of men and women, several word studies of the term "helper," and consultations with pastors, the Lord has given me an on-point answer:

The Triune God has given us a concrete example of a relational being -  the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit as One. Following this example, His design for us is to live in harmony with ONE ANOTHER - yes, you read that right. Live in harmony, not ALONE, but with ONE ANOTHER.

It is clear that God created MAN for a certain task (Genesis 2:15 "The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it"). On the other hand, God created WOMAN from the rib of man with all the necessary characteristics that makes her fit to help the MAN in accomplishing his God-appointed task. (P.S. If the woman's role according to the Bible doesn't seem clear to you, you are free to do your own search. ☺)


HERE COMES THE CLARITY IN TERMS OF LEADERSHIP:

"Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.'" Genesis 1:26
In short...

BOTH man and woman are leaders in their own scope of God-assigned roles.

Women are created by God to support men, whatever purpose God has given to the men around them: whether that is to be a husband, a father, a brother, a political leader, a spiritual leader, a teacher, a friend, and many other countless names you can call the men that God placed in a woman's life.

Now, if you are a woman in a leadership position, thank God! You are in the best position to encourage men to get aligned with God's design for them. It is not a position of pride but of humble influence in being a godly woman that the world may not understand. Be the source of encouragement!

God created both man and woman for His perfect purpose. He has assigned us different roles to fulfill but one thing is clear. Women's strengths are vital to the success of men's endeavors and vice versa.

To the men out there, let's make it clear. You were not born to just assert authority. Get your mind on your God-given role and live by the standards of your Creator. This is what manning up truly means!

Again, to my fellow strong women, let us not look at ourselves highly or as threats to masculinity but instead, as fellow conquerors of our brothers in Christ. This is equality.


Comments

Popular Posts