Why Am I Attracted to Complexity?



I hate it when things are complicated.

No. The title is not a click-bait. I almost always do not want to deal with the complexities of life but I have a huge tendency to be drawn to them. In fact, I love "fixing" complicated situations - if fixing had any value at all.

However, as I continue meeting new people and hearing stories, it helped me gain a greater perspective and I am able to zone into the reality that life gets complicated when we rally for our desires to become the standard for others.

Having desires is not an evil thing. It is what propels us to pursue something until it materializes into that one satisfying moment called "success". But one's success isn't the same for the other.

Each new person you meet comes from a different value system. I love my freedom of time and I respect those who love to stick to a daily routine. Is one thing better than the other? (If you say yes, you may stop reading at this point. Haha! Just kidding! You're free to believe whatever you want in this context.)

Variety is the spice of life, baby! - Easy to say but it's simply hard to accept another person's value system especially if it's the total opposite of yours. Let me tell you this: it's difficult but it's not impossible.

I'll be sharing not as an expert but only as someone who made mistakes (yes, that's plural with an S) in the past and is still trying to figure out how to do life better.

As a follower of Christ, I have a high call to think, speak and act in a Christ-like manner. My family and closest friends have seen the best and worst of me, and one word I could use to describe my worst days would be "spiteful". I have only learned to love others better when I understood the love that I received from Jesus.

To keep it short, the main ingredient in graciously dealing with any form of complexity is LOVE. Acceptance comes next. We aren't talking about agreement here - you can love and accept without agreeing (agreeing to disagree is a beautiful practice).

Here are a few other life principles that are keeping me sane:

When in disagreement, I let people believe/do what they want to believe in/do as long as...
  • they take full responsibility for their own actions and decisions
  • nobody is threatened, harmed or abused
  • there is no forcing of beliefs on one another (and I strive to do likewise)


In keeping relationships and taking advice from others, I do not mind our differences as long as...
  • they do not rob me of my joy in the Lord
  • they won't hinder me from pursuing God's call in my life
  • they are conduits for me love God and others more


If these principles are violated, without batting an eyelash, I'm more than happy to part ways. Boundaries are beneficial especially when laid clearly.

Life is simple. Let's not complicate it. Learn to cherish the beauty in diversity.


P. S. To my fellow Christians, the issue of tolerance is at the back of my mind as I write this but I believe the Word is clear on living at peace with everyone (Romans 12:18).

Comments

Popular Posts