What ever happened to the gunner?

(DISCLAIMER: This blog entry is purely opinionated. It consists of my personal thoughts on what could possibly be running in a gunner's mind. No scientific diagnosis are determined or suggested. Quoting of any content is allowed with proper citation.) 

I have read several articles and have heard even more television reports about the recent mass shooting in Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut where more than 20 people, kids and adults alike, were mercilessly killed.

Whatever happened to the gunner?

First, he shot his mother using her own gun, then he went to the school where his mom worked and shot probably every person who came his way and culminated by taking his own life. I could not imagine the terror brought by this cruel incident to the children and school staff who were spared from the killings. I, myself, have never witnessed a crime first-hand but just the thought of it already gave me enough fear of the offender. Being someone who seeks to understand why people behave in such a manner, I began to formulate thoughts on the possible causes of the gunner's action. There's a lot of possibilities, really. He could be experiencing dissonance in the depths of his mind; he could also have garnered so much pain from around him that he decided to get even by hurting many; or maybe he could be seeking attention but had been neglected so he planned an act (regardless of its nature) that could bring his name to the pedestal. The list is endless in a man's mind but we can only assume. The true reason may forever be unknown - only God knows. One thing is for sure. There was a plan - not the gunner's plan, but God's plan. Our Father knew what He was doing when He allowed it to happen. He must be sending a message to the concerned individuals. What is the message? It is unique for every single person. As for me, I got an "I am Sovereign" note. For some, it could be "I am your Comfort, I am your source of Hope, I am the Healer, I am Gracious for sparing your life, I am giving you another chance to rely on Me, and many more I am's."

If he remained alive, he will definitely face the consequences of his actions. Actually, he must be facing it already at this very moment on the other side of eternity. This incident had surely opened more eyes and minds to the reality of the devil. As a Christian, I strongly believe that any person who is following Jesus Christ would not be capable of violating God's commandment, "Thou shalt not kill." I do not want the previous statement to be on a judgmental note but more of an encouragement to keep on searching for Jesus in our lives and focusing on His Words to occupy your hearts and minds with godly thoughts instead of entertaining the enemy's infractions.

I came across some articles saying that the circulation of information about the crime might bridge into more shootings in the future. I agree with that. I agree that the inception of such violent thoughts will give birth to more "creative" ways to execute those kinds of acts. Harsh it may sound but that is the truth with regards to the innovative brain. However, it is quite pointless to tell people to stop spreading the news. Tell me about human nature! What we can do is spread the news, the Good News of Jesus Christ, our Savior, the origin of purity of mind and heart. There is no better way to lessen, if not wipe out, violence than having a tight relationship with the God of Peace.


***
As an aspiring psychologist, the onset of the shooting inspired me to understand more why such things happen and to find ways to help alleviate them.




Comments

Popular Posts