LENI IS MY PRESIDENT

A politically-invested person? Me? Yes, 6 years ago. If you want proof, read my pre-election blog about my presidential bet in 2016.

After President Duterte got elected in 2016, I refused to engage in political discourses. I got disheartened and I detached myself from any discussion about national issues (except during major crises where I could offer help). I only made sure I know the latest through local and international news accounts on Twitter. As a Christian who is called to submit to authority, I chose to stay off the grid because I know none of my words would matter after the president I didn't vote for won. The voice of a regular Filipino citizen has become nothing but a distant whisper. I kept silent despite the questionable actions and inactions of the present administration. After 6 years, his #1 promise to the Filipino masses is still a promise (to end illegal drugs). To be fair, some election promises were delivered and there were accomplishments that deserve applause. However, progress on a national level, in my observation, is not realized (read this article on poverty by GlobalCitizen.org). I reached a point where I just don't care anymore. But to be apathetic is the greatest mistake a citizen can do against his country - yes, even greater than being misinformed and gullible to fake news.

You might be asking, "Was it necessary that you started this blog with that"? I didn't have to, but I want you, dear reader,  to understand where I'm coming from. Why, after six years, I am back in the game.


WHY LENI?


I was never a fan of rallying on the streets but for the first time in my life, I joined a political rally last Wednesday, April 6, 2022. I only planned to stay at a nearby cafe from 12 noon onwards and be a spectator from afar. I didn't expect it, but I got reunited with friends and YOUNGER cousins who were also Leni supporters (P.S. I'm proud to say that my whole family is rooting for Leni!). Unplanned meetups are the best! Somehow my politically-invested heart got revived knowing that more and more people are going out of their way to support Leni for a fresh start.

My cousins and I went into the crowded Ynares Center at around 6:00PM. It was *still* raining and while I enjoyed distributing stickers, I was having these thoughts: (being honest here!) "I could have just stayed at home and watched the rally through the social media live stream. It has been raining literally ALL day. Besides, it doesn't make me less of a supporter if I stayed home. I can't believe I'm standing here for hours to hear politicians make promises. I've always thought attending rallies is a waste of time and resources because it barely has an impact on those who need to hear the cries." BUT NO. NOT THIS TIME.

Yes, I was battling with the spirit of self-preservation. I believed for the longest time that politicians do not really care about their constituents - that corruption is deeply ingrained into the system with the exception of a few who are striving to serve with integrity. These people do not even know me as an individual so why do I need to stand up for them?

But then it hit me -- around me are people soaked under the rain for hours, waiting to hear what TRoPa (Tropang Angat) has in store for the Philippines should they win. I saw people from different walks of life, young and old, wearing pink. There were placards with witty, funny, and powerful messages. What I saw in the eyes of this crowd was HOPE

After hearing VP Leni's speech, I felt a sense of being heard. She is not overly charismatic. I witnessed the sincerity in this woman's desire to connect with people. The first thing she did was remind us to take a shower once we get home so we wouldn't catch a cold. LENI ROBREDO CARES.

Please do your research as I will not go into details, but just in the last six years of her term as VP, she had undeniably maximized every resource she had in the service of the Filipinos. This, despite the public knowledge that the OVP has been deprived of funding. The fact that the Office of the Vice President received the highest rating from the Commission on Audit for three consecutive years is clear evidence of INTEGRITY. I want that kind of leadership in the next six years. A leader who leads from the ground up and does not leave anyone behind. A leader who has demonstrated competence and compassion. A leader who does not over-promise and under-deliver.

In this year's election, I am voting with more intentionality. I am not just reading from social media. I am not just depending on what other people are telling me. I am doing my research. I am looking at track records. I am making an effort to be a responsible voter because, at the end of the day, I am not just voting for myself but for the future generation. 

If I may quote my 26-year-old MDS-fanatic self, "I cannot forgive myself if I would elect a president who will cause the next generations to act and speak without thinking of the repercussions of their words/actions." 


THINK SIX YEARS FORWARD: VOTE FOR A DECENT AND PROGRESSIVE PHILIPPINES.


Let me echo the final words in my 2016 post:

"Kung gusto mo ng tunay na pagbabago, tumawid ka sa pedestrian lane, pulutin mo ang basura kahit hindi ikaw ang nagkalat, at higit sa lahat tumindig ka at huminto sa anumang ginagawa mo kapag narinig mong tumutugtog ang Lupang Hinirang!"

Mahal kong Pilipinas, mabuhay ka at pagpalain ka nawa ng Panginoon!


Here is a short clip of fellow Kakampinks in the cafe when the Philippine National Anthem started playing:



P.S.

* My realization about attending rallies: what's good about hearing their platforms firsthand is that when they do win, I have all the right to hold them accountable for what I heard straight from their mouths. 

* A little scoop from the Antipolo rally: when Sen. Kiko Pangilinan was appreciating the rally organizers, he mentioned certain names from our LGU, then the people started booing 😬. It was uncalled for but this is what I admire the most about the Leni-Kiko tandem - he reminded the crowd to be respectful. He did that on stage. 


Comments

Popular Posts